Thursday 3 July 2014

Behind the Blog


How to write a FCC blog post:

Well I'm sure you're all very curious about the extensive process Family Cakes goes through when posting on our blog.  Here is a detailed guide about the process of blogging here at Family Cakes and how we became the best blog on the internet.  

The process starts first with undeniable stress sweat about producing a blog post on an interesting and engaging topic.  After about 10 minutes of sheer panic and worry, I jump onto the web and see what is happening around the world.  There is always a lot happening such as trending topics on Twitter and national holidays, but since writing about July 4th is not an option (classic American) and the only trending topics on twitter today are about a song called "Ketchup," I quickly switch gears and try to think creatively. Luckily London and Family Cakes are both busy places and there is always an event or glorious cake in the works.  Usually it is very easy to find an idea by walking through our kitchen or just turning on the television.  These types of events spark hot topics, and give me an idea about what people may enjoy reading.  

(Yes this song really exists and I'm really not sure why its trending...)




Once inspiration strikes, I quickly switch over to the blog page and click the feared 'Create Post' button. After writing and deleting about 10 different titles for the post, I finally settle on one that I feel highlights the ideas of the post while hopefully drawing people in to read it. After finishing the title I begin typing an outline for the post that usually goes something like this:

People you encounter during World Cup: 
Introduction: stuff about the cup and fans
People: the mean one, the one that cheers loud, knows everything, one no one likes, one everyone likes, t-shirt guy, t-shirt guy's friend, etc.
Put pictures and other stuff now
Wrap it up now idiot

As you can see these outlines are very "inspiring" and so "carefully written."  With my outline ready to go I begin drafting (in full sentences this time) what it is I'm trying to relay to the reader.  Often I do this in paragraph form while inserting pictures to keep things interesting.  Once I finish writing out what I need to say, I read it over and then immediately decide its rubbish and log out.  After my anger subsides, I calmly re-read what I have written and after a lot of editing, pass it over for approval.  The nerves are imminent as I wait for the green light to post.  After making some minor changes, mostly cultural things that "the American" doesn't understand I hold my breath and click 'Publish.'  Once its all out there I look for positive responses and hopefully there are some.  

Ok so now I'm getting to the wrap it up now idiot portion of the post, but I hoped you've enjoyed getting a little behind the scenes about how the blogging process works here at Family Cakes!  It's always an adventure I assure you.  Feel free to comment below on blog posts you would like to see or any questions you may have!


(When inspiration doesn't strike... take a nervous mid-blog selfie)






No comments:

Post a Comment