Friday 15 March 2013

Breaking the fast with this delicious Easter challenge


With Easter just two weeks away I know we all have two things on our mind; holiday and sweets. Since this will be my first Easter on this side of the pond I figured I would attempt to make at British Easter Classic, the hot cross bun. Mind you, I have never made or even eaten a hot cross bun. Since I have absolutely no idea what I am doing I figure I'll head to one of my favourite food blogs, Foodgawker, and look up a recipe.

Okay so I know I JUST said I was going for the whole traditional British thing, but look at these...



Chocolate chip hot cross buns. I'm sold. Here is the recipe: 


CHOCOLATE CHIP HOT CROSS BUNS
Adapted from Not Quite Nigella.
For the buns
3 sachets instant dry yeast (21g, 3/4 oz) 1/2 cup sugar 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk 4 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt 50g unsalted butter, melted 1 egg, lightly beaten 2 1/2 cups chocolate chunks or chips
For the glaze
1/4 cup sugar 3 tbsp hot water
For the crosses
60g white chocolate (2 oz) 

looks like I'll be making a trip to Waitrose after work.

Here is another picture to get your mouth watering...




So seeing as I have never even tried a hot cross bun I figured that it is only fair if I let Vincenzo be the judge of how they turned out, but shhh! don't tell him because I am doing to make it a surprise.

Now let's see if mine come out anything like the pictures. 

Stay posted to see the results!


P.S. Write us a post and let us know what you will be making this Easter holiday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment