Ingredients (serves 6…unless someone’s greedy):
· 225 g self-raising flour
· 1 level tsp baking powder
· 225g caster sugar
· 2 large eggs
· ½ tsp almond extract
· 150g butter, melted
· 250g cooking apples, pealed and cored
· 25g flaked almond
- First preheat the oven to 160C/fan, 140C/gas, after then you should lightly grease a deep 20c loose bottom cake tin
- Now in a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract, and the melted butter. Mix until well blended and then beat for a minute
- Now you should have prepared the apples, if not do so, I’ll give you a minute…ok now you need to pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin, and lay the apples on top. Cut them however you like it, but we recommend it be a bit of a thicker cut.
- Now pour the rest of the mixture over the top, focusing on the middle so that it flows out. Now use a spoon to help make it all nice and even.
- Now sprinkle the top with the flaked almonds, this is really just a suggestion but its great for given the cake a real nice crunch to it.
- Finally bake in the oven for at least 1 ¼ hours, but it may take a bit longer. It should be golden brown and coming away from the tin.
- Lastly cut, serve, eat, and enjoy.
This little creation goes great with a little vanilla ice cream or really just about anything; chocolate drizzled on top, or even fresh berries. You make it as flavourful as your imagination is able to.
I hope you enjoy it, because I know that we enjoy making them.