Wednesday 26 January 2011

Client visits for the day: An outsiders view of our little world!!!!


I myself have a passion for baking at home, working my way through Nigellas cookbook, but what would this hobby be like as an actual profession?  I had the excellent opportunity to go to The Family Cake Company's bakery to find out for myself what it’s really like to work there.  I spent 3 hours in the kitchen on Friday with Vincenzo and Anna.

When I thought of professional kitchens, I pictured those I had seen on the likes of Ramsay’s Best Restaurant or The F word, fast paced, hot and sweaty and generally a rather stressful place to be.  I’m pleased to report that The Family Cake Company's bakery is the entire opposite to the common misconception.  The kitchen is nice and cool, clean and slow paced and calm.

I watched as Anna decorated 2 birthday cakes, taking time and care for each one to ensure it was perfect.  Neither of them were rushed; each one was given the seal of approval by Vincenzo or Daniel.  Little touches possibly added to ensure that the cake is extra special and just right for that birthday boy or girl.  For the Toy Story cake- some white clouds to match the clouds on the wallpaper in Andy’s room in the film, something that may be insignificant to most, but to a fan of the film memorable. For the golf cake- a surrounding of green turf of course, made of green icing pushed through a metal sieve in order to give its grass texture!

Next Vincenzo showed me how to package Madolines, delicately wrapped and tied with ribbon and personalised for the specific company.  My first half a dozen bows were a bit messy going by Vincenzo’s beautifully tied one, but he persevered and showed me many times how to tie a simple neat bow, until I got the hang of it.  Time and care was taken to ensure each one looks great.

It was then time for a spot of lunch, a little picnic and a chat.

After lunch, Anna moved on to the marzipan animals for Valentine's Day.  In the corner were trays upon trays of marzipan animals such as ladybirds, rabbits, dinosaurs, bears and lions. Anna created twenty of each kind; each one looked as good as the one before it.  Anna made it look so easy, yet each one was done to the highest standard like the one before.

I really enjoyed my time in The Family Cakes Company's kitchen.  Personally I feel so much happier about the product I am buying when I know time and care have been taken to ensure it is the best it can be, and that someone cares enough to ensure it is just right, with little touches to make it extra special for me.  So if you want a truly personal cake created especially for you with care and attention, then I would highly recommend The Family Cake Company

Lisa Donaldson

No comments:

Post a Comment